Scott Williams didn’t expect to end up in the nonprofit world when he was in college studying International Business & Marketing, but that’s exactly where he is and he couldn’t be happier about it. As a Senior Corporate Partnerships and Product Manager at Global Giving, Scott works with for-profit companies around the world to develop philanthropic programs and use Global Giving’s platform as a way to do good, such as through grants or employee engagements. His position has made him well versed in navigating the charitable nonprofit industry, whether through cold-calling or building relationships with companies around the world. He’s an expert in the field, but Scott will be the first to tell you that all you need to get started is to jump in and get some first-hand experience. So, what are you waiting for? Take the plunge and press play!
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN IN THIS EPISODE:
- What exactly IS a Senior Corporate Partnerships and Product Manager?
- What a typical day is like in this job
- How Scott builds new partnerships with a corporation
- What the biggest differences are between the for-profit and non-profit worlds in terms of product management
- How important extracurriculars can be for your career
- Why you shouldn’t worry too much about your major guiding or derailing your career
- The importance of learning from your work and extra curricular experiences (which are sometimes more valuable then your classes)
- Where you’ll gain some of the necessary skills you’ll need in your non-profit career