Brendan Daly is the Chief Communications Officer at the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA). Prior to this role, Brendan served as the Senior Director of Communications at the Save the Children Action Network, the political advocacy arm of Save the Children. Brendan has spent the majority of his career to-date as a spokesman in politics, the federal government and in the nonprofit world. Brendan majored in political science at Duke University but spent most of his free time working at his school’s award-winning newspaper, where he cultivated his love of journalism. Brendan started his career as a reporter, working for small newspapers in Connecticut and Massachusetts before taking the leap into local politics and eventually into national politics as communications director for House Speaker Nancy Pelosi.
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN ABOUT IN THIS EPISODE:
- What entry-level positions to watch out for to break into this field (3:52)
- What effective social media skills look like in the communications field (6:05)
- Why being part of something bigger than yourself is so important to building a fulfilling career (11:07)
- Why music matters (16:20)
- Why to watch The West Wing, Veep and Mad Men to get a window into this world
- If you want to learn more about what Brendan does in his current role at RIAA and how he built his career please tune in to T4C episode #499