Jonathan Sichel is the General Manager of Content Acquisitions and Operations at Discovery Inc, where he oversees 18 different lifestyle networks and manages 11 different brands. This includes everything from HD TV to the Food Network to Animal Planet and the Travel channel. Jonathan began working at Discovery Communications in 2002 as vice president of business affairs. As VP he was responsible for overseeing business deals across domestic and international cable operations. Prior to joining Discovery, Jonathan worked as a vice president of programming business development at America Online. Jonathan graduated from Princeton University’s Woodrow Wilson School with a Bachelor’s Degree in Public and International Affairs. After spending a year in Singapore, he attended Harvard Law School and upon graduation he joined Skadden Arps law firm. Two years later he quit to try his hand at E! Networks where he worked his way up to becoming Vice President of Business and Legal Affairs. Press play on this episode to learn why you should take a job even if it’s not exactly what you’re looking for!
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN ABOUT IN THIS EPISODE:
- What are the responsibilities of a general manager at Discovery Inc.
- How Discovery Inc.’s audience and business approaches vary across digital platforms
- How a typical day for Jonathan changes by the minute
- Why you don’t need a specific major or educational background to break into this industry
- How to put yourself in a position to move up the corporate ladder
- Why it’s important to think about the consequences of everything you write
- Why it’s good to keep an open mind when starting out in your career