Vivek Wadhwa’s advice to parents who ask him what their kids should study in college to be guaranteed a job when they graduate? Let them study what makes them happy. What are they interested in studying, he asks parents? This episode is chockablock with sage advice and revealing insights into one of our world’s deepest thinkers about how to become a truly fulfilled, successful and happy student/professional — at college and beyond. Vivek is a Distinguished Fellow at Harvard Law School and Carnegie Mellon University’s College of Engineering at Silicon Valley. Professor Wadhwa researches exponentially advancing technologies that are soon going to change our world. These advances–in fields such as robotics, artificial intelligence, computing, synthetic biology, 3D printing, medicine and nanomaterials–are making it possible for small teams to do what was once possible only for governments and large corporations to do: solve the grand challenges in education, water, food, shelter, health and security. Prior to joining academia in 2005, Professor Wadhwa founded two technology firms. He is also the author of the new book: Your Happiness Was Hacked: Why Tech is Winning the Battle to Control Your Brain—and How to Fight Back as well as The Driver in the Driverless Car: How Our Technology Choices Will Create the Future and of Innovating Women: The Changing Face of Technology.
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN ABOUT IN THIS EPISODE:
[Espresso Shots are 10 questions that cover important topics like what are the entry-level jobs, most important skills, life lessons, college degrees, etc for java junkies who want to break into the field of …]
- How today anyone, anywhere can build world-changing software (1:59)
- Why the position of ‘Quality Assurance’ is the best way to enter the Tech field without any tech skills. (4:02)
- Why you need to know computer technology whether you’re an artist or musician (5:09)
- Why you need to read ‘The Driver in the Driverless Car’ because it’s a 101 guide to technology (5:30)
- Why design and empathy are among the most important skills you can have (5:52)
- Why you should learn computer technology the way you approached learning to read, write and do math (7:24)
- Why you should read ‘Your Happiness Was Hacked: Why Tech is Winning the Battle to Control Your Brain — and How to Fight Back’ (15:49)
- Listen to Vivek’s main T4C Episode #5 to learn more about how he built his amazing career!
Submit your review