Madeline Rose is a Senior Global Advocacy Advisor at Mercy Corps*, a global humanitarian and development NGO, where she works to create and implement public policies to solve some of the world’s biggest problems. She’s a policy expert and advocacy strategist with innovative problem-solving skills who led the design of Mercy Corps’ first globally coordinated advocacy campaign, which she now leads. Her current focus is passing a bill through the U.S. Congress called the “Global Fragility and Violence Reduction Act of 2018” that will help end violence in Guatemala, Nigeria, Iraq and many other conflict-affected countries. Madeline travels frequently and works with her Mercy Corps colleagues in countries around the world to find out what may be driving violence in those countries in order to identify solutions to stopping it. Madeline studied Diplomacy and World Affairs at Occidental College and during her time there, interned with the United Nations. After graduating, Madeline moved to D.C. and worked in the Capitol Hill office of former Rep. Mike Honda (D-CA) as a Legislative Correspondent and Staff Assistant. It was in Rep. Honda’s office that Madeline learned the value of mentorship and truly kicked off her career. Feeling the need for an extra shot of T4C today? Well, press play on this Espresso Shots episode to listen to Madeline give you some quick tips on how to shape your college and extracurricular experiences to create the perfect foundation for a career in global development and, more specifically, global advocacy/humanitarianism.
*Since we did this interview with Madeline she’s now at the Alliance for Peacebuilding where she is the Director of Coalition Campaigns & Policy.
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN ABOUT IN THIS EPISODE:
- What are the entry level positions to watch out for in this industry
- What are the qualities that you should try to cultivate to enhance your changes of breaking into this industry
- Why being intentional in choosing your major is more important than the major itself
- What extracurricular experiences can help you boost your international development mindset
- What is most surprising about this interesting career (listen and find out)
- What are the skills that can help boost your likelihood of getting hired in this field
- If you want to learn more about what Madeline does in her current job at Mercy Corps and how she built her career tune into T4C episode #77