Jim Hallmark is the Director of Finance, Investment & Trade at the Millenium Challenge Corporation (MCC). Since 2008, Jim has worked tirelessly with members of his team to help developing countries structure and manage public private partnerships (PPPs) and other types of blended finance transactions to develop infrastructure and other public services in Africa, Eurasia and Latin America. But the work doesn’t stop there. Jim has also seen his fair share of law books, working as a finance attorney in private law firms representing investors and companies in U.S. and international equity & debt financings, mergers & acquisitions, business start-ups, and licensing arrangements. With a resumé already loaded with experience, Jim co-founded the Latin American Private Equity & Venture Capital Association (LAVCA), a non-profit member organization that supports private equity & venture capital in Latin America through education, networking, research and advocacy. If you are passionate about the fight against global poverty and have dreamed about breaking into the world of foreign aid, then you’ll definitely want to grab your mug and take a chug of your favorite caffeinated brew and press play on this T4C episode!
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN ABOUT IN THIS EPISODE:
- What the MCC is and what it does
- What the Finance, Investment and Trade group does at MCC
- What is a concession and why is it important
- Why MCC works to leverage public-private partnerships (PPPs) to have a bigger impact in the countries where it works
- What the differences are as a lawyer working in small, medium and large firms
- Why it’s important to take finance and economics classes in college if you want to get into this type of work