Lisa Shalett is a Managing Partner & Head of Strategic Innovation at Brookfield Asset Management, a position she took after a year-long ‘retirement’ during which she advised startups and worked as an angel investor. Lisa is an expert in the field of investment banking and financial services, acquiring wisdom from her impressive 20 year career at Goldman Sachs, one of the largest investment banks in the world. A Partner at Goldman, Lisa also held numerous other positions including Global Head of Brand Marketing and Digital Strategy, managing the company’s brand during the 2008 financial crisis. Prior to entering the financial services world, Lisa lived and worked in Japan and got her East Asian Studies degree from Harvard University, and later her MBA from the Harvard Business School. Lisa is an exceptional leader and strategic thinker who loves solving problems. Energized on life rather than caffeine, she makes time for coffee today in this T4C Espresso Shots episode to answer those key questions that you need to know if you are pursuing a career in financial services.
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN ABOUT IN THIS EPISODE
- What unlikely or often missed entry level jobs are available in the field of investment banking (there are a lot of them!)
- What non-skill related characteristics does Lisa look for in the people she hires
- Why what you major in at college doesn’t really matter
- How living abroad in a foreign country can make you more successful in whatever you want to do
- Why setting a good tone in your work environment is important no matter what your specific job
- Why you should read How Business Works, The Everything Store and even Investment Banking for Dummies to learn more about this industry