Samantha Kubek is a coordinating attorney with the Veterans Initiative within the New York Legal Assistance Group’s Legal Health Division. She works with survivors of sexual trauma and specifically focuses on helping female veterans access veteran’s healthcare and other benefits. Samantha has written about and given talks on military sexual trauma, also known as MST. She graduated from Georgetown University with a B.A. in political science and government and a minor in English. She then got her law degree at NYU law school. Prior to starting at the New York Legal Assistance Group, Samantha worked as a legal intern for multiple organizations including Her Justice and the ACLU.
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN ABOUT IN THIS EPISODE:
- What entry-level jobs are available for those interested in breaking into this field (4:15)
- Why a Master’s in social work could be beneficial when going into a “direct services” career like this (8:12)
- Why it’s extra important to be passionate or have a driving force when doing this work (11:00)
- What Samantha feels are the best and worst parts of her job (13:41/14:57)
- How being a lawyer can sometimes feel like being a therapist (22:03)
- If you want to learn more about what Samantha does as a coordinating attorney with the Veterans Initiative check out T4C episode #638