Madeline Mann is a human resources leader who has helped thousands of people land career-defining jobs and the founder of Self-Made Millennial. She is currently a talent development manager at Inspire*, a clean energy tech company on a mission to transform the way people access clean energy. Her side-hustle, Self-Made Millennial, has been named a Top-5 career show on YouTube, with more than 95,000 subscribers, and a #2 career-focused TikTok channel, 100’s of thousands of followers.
*In 2021, after this interview, Madeline left Inspire to go all-in on your side hustle business, Self-Made Millennial.
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN ABOUT IN THIS EPISODE:
- How to look for entry-level HR jobs and key titles to watch out for (4:06)
- How being involved in an organization’s recruitment process can teach you useful HR skills (6:43)
- Why you don’t need to have majored in it to go into human resources, and Madeline’s advice on whether or not to get a graduate degree (9:53)
- What Madeline says is the best and worst part of her job (16:56)
- Why it’s important to realize there’s no rubric for life (19:10)
- How The Office, Step Brothers, and Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt all dance around portraying HR jobs (22:32)
- How you learn more about a company in an HR role there versus another position (24:18)