The decisions we face as college students are unimaginable. What do I wear? Should I spend my last $6 on a beer or on a meal for dinner? These questions try us even in our weakest moments. But besides the trivial decisions we are tasked with on a day-to-day basis, we are also constantly anxious over the substantial life choices: jobs, relationships, money, complete and utter independence.
This is the time in our lives where the decisions we make can have lasting impacts on the future we are creating and that… that is absolutely terrifying.
At 21 years old, I am torn 99% of the time about the choices I make and that’s okay. Something I’ve finally started to understand is that it’s perfectly acceptable not to know what’s going to happen. Sometimes you just need to trust your gut and see how the cards play out. After listening to podcasts after podcast about how all of these successful entrepreneurs got their start, I have faith that if they had no idea what they were doing at 21, I think I should be fine.
To keep yourself from going insane about what are the right and wrong choices, check out my 5 hacks that will change the way you look at life forever.
- TAKE RISKS. THEY MIGHT EVEN PAY OFF- This really is the golden rule. Take risks. I think almost every success story on Time4Coffee created their empire by thinking outside the box, trusting their gut, and taking a risk. It will seem scary but have confidence in yourself that even if it doesn’t work out at first, you’re learning invaluable lessons along the way. https://time4coffee.org/212-how-michael-rosenblum-accidentally-invented-the-video-journalist-or-mmj-w-michael-rosenblum-rosenblum-tv/
- CURIOSITY IS KEY- Read a lot and question everything. Don’t take things for what they may appear on the surface. There are often times in our lives where we find ourselves just drifting along, accepting things for what they are. Stop that. Take control of you life and find fulfilment in something. Crave discovery and search for the unknown. Curiosity and drive shapes growth. https://time4coffee.org/100-define-yourself-define-who-youre-for-define-the-competition-w-lenny-stern-ssk-founding-partner/
- IDENTIFY YOUR INTERESTS AND FOLLOW THEM- There is a saying that if you love what you do, you’ll never work a day in your life. I find that to be some of the greatest advice I’ve ever heard. If you are truly happy with what you do, why do anything else? Being interested in your work will not only create a successful career but help you lead a healthier, happier life. https://time4coffee.org/88-why-your-career-will-be-a-japanese-bento-box-not-a-3-course-french-meal-w-april-rinne/
- TRY NOT TO TAKE EVERYTHING SO SERIOUSLY- Don’t forget this. While building your career is important, don’t consume your life with trying to be the very best professional all the time. True happiness is not down that road. Remember to try to find a healthy balance of what you love outside your work, including building a community and developing other interests outside your career to create a meaningful future. https://time4coffee.org/181-from-creative-writing-major-to-restauranteur-vc-w-nick-freshman-mothersauce-partners/
- EXPAND YOUR NETWORK- Reach out to people up top, you never know what could happen. Trust yourself that you can make risky decisions and something amazing could come out of it. You never know if you don’t try. And again, it’s okay not to know what comes next, just simply trust yourself. https://time4coffee.org/128-how-to-break-into-fashion-build-your-brand-w-mitch-purgason-stitched-by-mitch/